Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Year Barbeque

We went to my parent's place for a barbeque just after New Years......



There were mystery sausages - in that some were beef and some were not, and no-one knew which was which.  THis did not concern me, as I had my own vegie sausage :-)




Delicious smashed potatoes - with rosemary- these potatoes had such delicious crispy bits, as well as soft fluffy centres!





A Salad with just about anything you could think of - feta, tomato, capsicum, onion, mushrooms, avocado, YUM!!


Some marinated barbeque chicken





Crusty bread - with real butter :-)


And for dessert? Well this was my department, so I made individual pavlovas with fruit salad.  Basically, I piped out meringue into the appropriate shapes (and they actually were not too wobbly looking!!) and baked them.  I made them the day before, so I wanted a crunchy meringue, rather than a chewy meringue which may have gone soggy with the wait in the fridge....  I assembled the pavlovas just before we ate them - I put a little Vanilla Fruche in the bottom and topped each one with a pile of fresh fruit salad - I chopped up all the fruit quite small, so that everyone got a little bit of everything in their little pavlova.




5 comments:

Mireya said...

That meringue looks absolutely divine! Do you eat this dessert chilled?

Alibongo said...

yes - chilled for sure - traditionally it would have whipped cream under the fruit also!

Kristina Strain said...

Yum, I love pavlovas. It's one real "dessert" dessert that I never feel guilty about eating-- it's basically fruit, and air.

Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade

caite said...

another pavlova lover here...sadly they are rarely seem in the USA.

Karine said...

Great job with your pavlova!

The barbecue seems to havebeen filled with great food :)