Monday, December 15, 2008

I roasted a chook!

Saturday night Pam & Sid came over for dinner, so I decided to make a roast chicken. This was slightly stressful since I have never roasted a chicken before. I basically followed Nigella's recipe for Lemon Roast Chicken from Nigella Feasts. You rub the chicken with butter and put half a lemon inside it. I added fresh herbs from the garden (rosemary, sage & thyme) to the butter and rubbed this all over the chook, as well as putting some butter under the skin over the breasts. I also chucked some sprigs of these herbs inside the chicken. THen you salt the chicken and bake it in a 22o C oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes before squeezing over some lemon juice and serving.

I also par boiled some potatoes, shook them around a bit after they were drained, and threw these in around the chicken, as well as some separately for the vegetarian (that would be me :-) ). Along with some roast pumpkin and roasted cauliflower, it was really quite delicious.





I was most impressed with the way the chicken turned out! It looked just like a real one. And by all reports also tasted delicious.
For dessert I made mini pavlovas with strawberry & mango.
And then we all played a bit of tennis & bowling on the Wii.

No comments: